Elsien's Traveblogue

Monday, May 28, 2018

 

Dutch Book Festival in Montpellier

I've had the most wonderful few days at the Comédie du Livre in Montpellier. It is a Book Fair that takes place every year and focuses on a different nationality each year. This year it was Dutch and Flemish literature.
My Dutch friend Els, a translator, was slightly involved in it and thanks to her I could participate in Breakfast with Dutch author Gerbrand Bakker and another one, the next day, with Flemish writer Stefan Brijs. I am not that au fait with modern Dutch literature, so had never heard of these two writers and had to start reading at some pace! Thank Goodness for Amazon, the Dutch on-line bookseller Bol.com as well as Kindle, Kobo and E-Pubs. By co-incidence, trying to sort out my overfull DropBox I found that a lovely Dutch friend had given me access to hers, which was choc-a-full of Dutch literature! Wow, thank you!
So, I got through enough of the books to be able to have some idea. I read all of 'Arend', by Stefan Brijs. A bit bizarre, not easy to read, about a somewhat monstrous-looking child, the 'Arend' of the title, who is neglected, mainly in horror of his looks, by his single mother. He finds a neighbour, or rather, the similarly eccentric, shunned by others, neighbour finds him and the two become friends. The neighbour, a much-needed father figure, collects feathers, which fits in beautifully with Arend's various obsessions and the boy dies, in the end, spoiler-alert – trying to fly … 'Arend', in Dutch, means 'Eagle'.
Stefan Brijs is better known for a more recent book, 'The Angel-Maker', about a medical researcher who clones a triplet, after his own, far from perfect image, with his genetic material. I have almost finished the book, fascinating, but long … The interview with the author, over 'breakfast', a cup of coffee, glass of juice and little croissant, was excellent and really added another layer of understanding to the books and their author. I was extremely impressed with the interpreter who not only translated swiftly and accurately, using French words and expressions that really gave the sense and flavour of the original Dutch, but managed to wait until the author had stopped speaking and then gave the translation of his words. See below, it's not always like this …
We had the same interpreter for Gerbrand Bakker and she did the same fabulous job there. I almost finished reading his books 'Boven is het Still' (It's Quiet Upstairs), in a very agricultural setting, and 'The Detour', set in Cornwall about a woman trying to finish her dissertation on Emily Dickinson. Still reading both! I have an affinity both to farming settings and to Cornwall and know a bit about Emily Dickinson. I was especially struck by the beauty of Bakker's language and found out that his degree is in historical linguistics, so not too surprising he finds words fascinating too …
There were more interviews during those three days. I got so tired I missed Day 3, also because of other circumstances, but I did a pretty full-on Day 1 and 2.
An amazing discussion with focus on 'The Other', immigration and integration, a real topic, problem in the Netherlands, well, Europe. Toine Heijmans, whose column in the Dutch newspaper 'The Volkskrant' I read from time to time (but none of his books yet – will try!), Annelies Verbeke, another Flemish author, whose book '30 Days' I had actually read, thanks to my now 95-year-old mother, who started her studies of Dutch Language and Literature aged 40, taught Dutch for 20 years and still reads several novels a week (day?) to maintain her sanity, living with my Dad who hasn't got much left in the way of memory. My Mum has been really enthusiastic about this event: I have had to phone her all the time and she'd tell me what other books I had to read …
The third author in the discussion above was someone called Fouad Laroui. I'd never heard of him, but he was a marvel. Look him up on Google, I think. He was born in Morocco, is an engineer, lives in Amsterdam, is fluent in Arabic, French and Dutch (probably English as well) and shares with me, and so many of my friends, this European identity, and this phenomenon of roots in one language and culture, but feeling totally at home and integrated in another. I bought Joseph his 'Insoumise de la Porte de Flandres', set in Molenbeek, Brussels, as Joseph had lived in Brussels for so long. I still have to read it myself … So much to read!
Another author interview was with Inge Schelperoord, whose debut book is about a pedophile, trying to become a good man (my Mum hated it), then Joost de Vries, 'L'Heritier', another debut novel, not read that either. The interpreter kept almost constantly interrupting him, in her hurry to translate, while Joost was still searching for words and he then promptly lost his train of thought as she came in with her interpretation … I thought it was a perfect example of how not to interpret … However, she also did the interpretation with Anna Enquist, a real 'grande dame' of Dutch contemporary literature and she was fine then, maybe because Anna stopped at convenient moments to enable the interpreter to do her stuff...
I love Anna Enquists's books, and so does my Mum. I especially love the ones where she uses her musical background as a professional pianist to tie in with her books, but I also love, from my own past in the Pacific, the book about Captain James Cook. The interview was excellent, and made much of this musical past as well.She's astonishing, wouldn't mind interviewing her myself.
I also loved David van Reybrouck, whose book about the Congo has been on my Dad's bookshelves for a long time now. I never read it in Dutch, but I found a pretty cheap French language translation of it in paperback in our local bookshop. I'm halfway through! It's incredibly impressive, mixing history and human experience to an amazing degree, well written! The author is bi-, if not tri-lingual and, as the story of the Congo, if not in Lingala or another Congolese language, is mainly in French, the language of the Belgian colonisers, I have no problem reading it in French. In the case of Gerbrand Bakker's book, 'Boven is het Stil' (It's Quiet Upstairs), I had real trouble linking the French translation of the first pages, which was read out during the breakfast, to the Dutch I had read, where you could smell the cows, the fields, the water, see the skies … This, to me, seemed sadly missing in the French translation.
Who else? Herman Koch, 'The Dinner' – I read this ages ago, my Mum gave it to me, of course. A good interview and a very intriguing book, from beginning to end. By this time I had lost my Dutch mates, I don't know what happened to them. There was so much going on, it's not surprising. I'll try and find them again today …
I lost them when I went to the local museum, the Musée Fabre, where one of the curators gave a talk with slides about the Dutch and Flemish influence on French painters, as seen by the collection of the museum. Absolutely fascinating, and I left the room, head buzzing with ideas for my own research, half a dozen of possible PhD's...
So, I'm now back at my desk, newly re-captured from my partner, who's used this study for more than six years, while I have had to keep moving from pillar to post. He's not got much work now, so I'm supremely happy to be here and still feeling inspired to be productive. Proof: I've written 1200 words on this, today!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   February 2009   September 2009   December 2009   February 2010   March 2010   June 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   December 2010   February 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   June 2012   August 2012   September 2012   October 2012   December 2012   March 2013   April 2013   March 2018   April 2018   May 2018  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?